Monday, November 2, 2009

Teen Junk

This is my first year doing teen/tween programs after school (I had done them during the summers in the past), and we started out by only doing six weeks toward the end of the school year. I called the program "Teen Junk" because it was all about making things out of recycled materials. I had done weeks of searching online to find great projects for teens, and most of them focused on recycling. In this first bit I'll show you the different crafts we did, the difficulties with them, the response I got, etc.

The first craft we did (and one of the ones that got the most response out of people who saw it) was the orange juice carton wallet/coin purse. It's a fairly simple craft to do, and really cool to boot! I think it's a great alternative to the duct tape wallet. To the right or above are the images of the one I made. If you follow the link above, it will tell you how to make one. One of the difficulties I had with this was that the cardboard was very hard for the teens to fold, and I ended up having to do the accordion folds on most of the wallets. Also, it's a good idea to have a few extra cartons on hand, just in case someone messes up, because there's really no fixing this if you trace the pattern incorrectly or cut a piece off.
The teens really liked this one, but like I said, there were difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment