Monday, November 2, 2009

Rubber band jewelry

Now you may be thinking to yourself "Yeah, yeah - we've seen rubber band jewelry before. It's nothing special." And for the most part I would agree. The rubber band jewelry featured in a particular book my library was sent was abysmal (along with most of the other crafts in the book). However, in my journeys online I found this via Junk Jewelry blog and was inspired. So I pulled out my needles, thread, and seeds beads, and after an hour or two of twisting and turning the rubber bands, and trying different things out, I decided I had an awesome craft.
I made a string of examples of some of the different things you could do with the medium. Unfortunately, it was all for naught. The teens had a really difficult time holding the rubber bands in the right shape while they poked the needle through, so most ended up looking nothing like the pics I've posted. Some took the bands and cut them open into long strips and strung them on that way. All in all, I don't know that this is something I'd repeat again. I'm definitely interested in doing other jewelry things with them, but I would only do this particular one if I had a really artsy/crafty group I knew could handle this.

No comments:

Post a Comment